Seeing Orange Project

Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi barakatuh.

Curi masa kejap while finishing my Assigned Independent Reading (AIR) assignment to update this rusty blog of mine haha.
Life isn't hectic as I imagined before (well maybe bcs this is our first sem).
Today as for instance, I got only 1 lab session (10.45-12.45) and that's all haha.
But here in IMU we rarely have long holidays, that's the disadvantage.
Anyway, in this post I'm gonna tell you bout my first experience as a volunteer going to Rumah Titian Kasih.
I had volunteered in few programs involving poor kids and orphans before but I never went to their homes.

Seeing Orange Project? Why is it called 'Seeing Orange'?
So basically Rumah Titian Kasih is a place or to be exact a beautiful home for elderly people, single mothers and children who are very very poor.
So our main aim is to teach the children esp those who can't read as much as we could.
Sajid told us during the briefing that we wanna make the children to learn reading like how a blind person knows what orange colour is (something like that).
But this is our first meeting with them, so as usual ice-breaking session is a must.

Rumah Titian Kasih is situated in Titiwangsa and is about 35 minutes from IMU (if no traffic jam ofcs).
We left IMU on last Saturday at 6.50pm and arrived at 7.40pm.
The first moment for us was kinda awkward but the kids were very friendly.
At first glance, you will never know what those kids had gone through.
They seemed happy all the time.
I really really love kids so I think it was quite easy for me to get along with them.
The first kid I met named Intan.
She showed us the bathroom and place for us to solat.

After solat, a girl named Syafina approached me and asked me to tie a red balloon that she had blown.
She was quite new at that place.
Kak Wani told me when Syafina came to that house for the first time, she didn't stop eating because she came from a very poor family and rarely ate nice food.
Kais pagi makan pagi, kais petang makan petang.
So once she got food, she ate non-stop.
Every time someone looked at her, mesti ada food kat tangan dia.
Sad.
Sad of thinking we easily throw away extra things and food we don't want when there are many people out there who crave some rice for dinner.

Back to the story.
There was one time that Syafina suddenly ran to me and hugged me :')
To be honest I was really touched.
I treated her like my own sister and hugged her back.

The children were divided into few groups and we had an ice breaking session.
We played few games before continuing with their reading assessment.
At first Maisarah who is a 9-year-old girl didn't wanna join bcs she was sulking at that time.
So I went to her and asked whether she's alright or not. She just kept quiet.
I asked for her permission to sit beside her and started the conversation by complimenting her drawings (her drawings were really really way better than mine haha).
Then we played teka-teki together before she told me she wanted to sit with the others.

Actually we had to assess their reading skills but few kids in my group (Aida, Maisarah, Najwa, Farah) know how to read and insisted us to sembang with them instead haha.
Sarah and I were in Blue Group.
In my group there was a 16-year-old girl who is a Korean band fan.
Guess what, she knows most of Korean songs, can sing very well with nice voice and she can even do split and bridge because she's a flyer in cheerleading!
This girl is amazing.
Sarah and I talked bout many things and the kids seemed to like singing very much.
They sang lots of songs which Sarah and I never knew before and we just sitting there with our blur faces.
At 11 we had to go back as it's time for the kids to sleep.
We managed to capture few photos before leaving.

I really really had a great time with them.
And most important thing, what I learned from them are; always be grateful and happy of what you have now & enjoy your life to the fullest.
I really look forward for the next meeting with them.
InshaaAllah if ada rezeki definitely I will join again.

Teka-teki with Maisarah



Mamak before going back to IMU

I better go now and get ready for my class haha.
Toodles!
Assalamualaikum :)

p/s: Sorry if there's any spelling error or grammar mistake. I'll check it later.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cara Membuat Gam Kanji

Experience Studying In International Medical University, IMU

4D3N Krabi Budget Trip (Less Than RM700!) - Itinerary & Expenses